[Antennaware] Converting 3 el to 2el

To: antennaware@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com, cq-contest@contesting.com, dx-is@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Antennaware] Converting 3 el to 2el
From: John Geiger <aa5jg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
Here is a question I should know the answer for, but
just can't some up with it right now.  Must be brain
fried from grading papers and getting final grades
ready.

My current HF antenna was damaged in a storm last
week, and repair efforts haven't lead to pre-storm
performance, so I am looking for a replacement.  I
really only have room for a 2 element tribander, if I
go that route.  However, these are kind of rare to
find, and 3 element ones seem much more available.
What would happen performancewise if I took a 3
element and just cut off the boom and director in
front of the driven element, making it a 2 element
tribander?  Will this work?  Would performance be down
relative to a 2 element tribander?

73s John AA5JG