Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower
From: Alan AB2OS <ab2os@att.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:13:00 -0400
From correspondence with AN Wireless I learned that they claim their permissible load/area figures are still good for an antenna mounted within 10' of the top of the tower.

Alan AB2OS

I wrote:

Another thing: as I understand it, the tower manufacturers' permitted surface area figures assume that the antenna is mounted immediately at the top of the tower. When that same antenna is mounted 5, 10 or more feet above the top of the tower on a mast, the forces on the tower are increased significantly; the mast may survive, but not the tower itself.