Re: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable, sprinkler wire

To: KI7WX@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable, sprinkler wire
From: david jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:55:51 -0400
Some day you should go measure the voltage at the rotor and compare it to the voltage at the control box. The results might lead you to upgrade the guage of
wire you're using. Publish the results for the list.

73,
dave
wa3gin

KI7WX@aol.com wrote:

N0RQ asked about 18ga sprinkler cable for rotors.

I used this wire at my NC station to feed a T2X which was later repalced with an M2 Orion. Worked fine on both rotors. I had about a 250-300 foot run and I doubled up two conductors for the motor leads. If I'd started with the Orion I'd have used 14-3 instead of the sprinkler cable though.

While bopping through Home Despot the other day I noticed they now carry the sprinkler cable in 10 x 18ga and the cost is decent.

The small guage cat5 cables worked fine to feed numerous RCS8V boxes. Wire was outside for a few years and the jacket on the cat5 was still perfect when we took it all down.

Mark
KI7WX/2