Re: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole Mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole Mast
From: list_patrick@complete-office-installations.com (Patrick Riggins)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:12:34 GMT
  I used a 2" aluminum pipe for the first tower I took down (Rohn 25).
It was pretty strong but when I took down my second tower (Rohn SSV),
I used a 2" steel pipe and was much more satisfied. The aluminum was
strong but still made me a little nervous at times. The steel pipe did
not move one bit and the SSV was much more heavy than the "25". The
steel wasn't that much heavier than the aluminum and I was much more
comfortable using it. If you are using a pulley system to haul the gin
pole up to the top anyway, the weight difference doesn't mean a lot.

  To get to the point, call the local steel places. I got an 18 foot
schedule 80 pipe for $20.00. It was an old 20-foot piece that they let
me have cheap since they had used two feet of it (it was a little
rusty as well).

Good luck,

Patrick Riggins KA4ZNU