To: towertalk@contesting.com, k4jc@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 104, Issue 61
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:01:30 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/29/2011 4:49:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  That brings me to my questions on preform dead ends. I  have read quite
a bit
from folks who sing their praises, but I have found  very little on how they
work or how to install them. I can't really tell  from the pictures on the
Rohn or 3starinc.com websites - they just look  like a piece of guy wire
bent
into a V shape. Do you clamp them to the guy  wire? If so, why not just loop
the guy wire through the eye of the  turnbuckle and clamp it back onto
itself? Are they for added strength? As I  said there is very little out
there on how they are used or installed. To  me they seem rather useless,
but
everyone says to use them.

    The salient point is that the Preformed grips are  like those chinese
finger puzzles you had as a kid. The more you pull them -  the tighter they
get. In my experience I've never seen a problem with them.  Nobody uses cable
clamps anymore.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH