Re: [TowerTalk] Motorizing a TX-472

To: Al Williams <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Motorizing a TX-472
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 09:59:57 -0400
OK, al and Julio. Thanks for the input. I have recently reinstalled a late vintage LM-470 here and upgraded the tilt winch to a K2550. Al, did you place the three pulleys on the LM-470 in the general location as they are in the UST 89? Are there any drawings available showing this kind of setup? I'd like to take a look.

73 and tnx fer ur help de Joe

Al Williams wrote:

Be careful not to compare apples to oranges here.

My 15 yr old tilt raising fixture for the UST 89' tower uses three
pulleys
for mechanical advantage.  My 3 yr old LM-470 tilt raising fixture uses
only one pulley for mechanical advantage.

Furthermore, the winch for the UST  was the k2550 (~40:1 gearing)
versus the LM-470's k1550 (15:1 gearing).

Winching the UST tower is easy but winching the LM-470 was very
difficult until I replaced the k1550 with a k2550.

Later I modified the LM-470 tilt raising fixture and cabling to use
three pulleys also and it cranks easily.  I probably expend as much
energy moving my arm and hand as I do raising the tower?

I have not used the pivot-at-the-top-of-the-tower method of tilting
the tower (which has no pulley mechanical advantage, relying only
on the winch and tower balance) because of workmanship issues.

I would be interested in how well that works and why would anyone
want to motorize it?

k7puc

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julio Peralta" <jperalta@tampabay.rr.com>

I have an 89' UST tilt over crank-up. I use a 1/2 DeWalt drill motor

that I

bought from Home Depot for less than $100. The drill has an approx.

1HP

motor and when coupled to the shaft that the hand crank goes on will

stand

up the 89' UST very nicely.

Julio, W4HY