[TowerTalk] Best VHF-UHF Vertical for Lightning?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best VHF-UHF Vertical for Lightning?
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:51:54 -0700
The 2m vertical at the office took a lightning hit,
the coax discharged at the disconnected PL-259 into
a steel window frame in the maintenance office that
overlooks the garage area.  Looks like someone put
an arc welder to the conector and the frame!

When replacing it I'd like to install something that
by design directs the energy to ground instead of into
the building.

I understand that some models are designed to help
this happen better than others.  (I will, of course,
also install a Polyphaser.)

To sell it to the powers-that-be I need to be able
to promote the value as a lightning rod and for
monitoring for storm and other emergency alerts.
(Reception in the concrete and steel structure is
abysmal.)

I'd really love to put up something that can handle
receive and transmit on 2 & 440 and at least be useful
for HF reception if not transmit.

It cannot be huge -- the current antenna is about 6
feet tall and fairly low profile (not sure of the model).

Suggestions, please?

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
West Central Florida  100% Linux.  Suse 9.1