[TowerTalk] Mixing your own concrete?

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mixing your own concrete?
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:19:34 -0400
The spec. for the foundation for the tower I intend to put up (AN Wireless 60' Light Duty) at this location (80mph winds) calls for close to 10 cu. yds. of 4000lb concrete.

How many bags of premixed concrete is that? (They are sold by weight rather than by finished volume). Is the stuff in bags up to that strength, and is it possible to mix that quantity quickly enough (even with an electric- or gasoline-powered mixer) to avoid having the first-poured stuff set already before the last lot is mixed and placed? I've worked in testing laboratories for construction projects, and I know how important it is for concrete to be poured within a certain period of time, or for the structure to be designed for discontinuous pouring.

Alan NV8A