Re: [TowerTalk] Replacing coax question

To: Tom Martin <tmartin@chartermi.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Replacing coax question
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:53:14 -0700
I think I'd be more worried about moisture getting into the PL-259 / barrel connection splice hanging out in the open than insertion loss.

Tom Martin wrote:

I am replacing a 90' length of RG8 water damaged coax to my 40 meter beam. I have LMR 400 for the main run up the tower but want to use a RG8 section for the rotator loop. There are two ways to do this. First, a 14' section of RG8 from the feed point of the beam with one PL259 and one barrel connector to join the LMR. Secondly, a 10' section of LMR and PL259 to a barrel connector and a 4' section of RG8 for the loop to join the LMR that goes down 80' to the antenna relay box at the base of the tower. This configuration would require 4 PL259's and two barrel connectors. I want to avoid the many possible problem areas with the multiple connections. I think that I have answered my own question but wasn't sure if adding that much RG8 to the run would offset the benefit of the LMR 400. I suppose on 40 meters the loss would be negligible. Am I correct?

73,

Tom W8JWN

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://gocoastguard.com
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY