Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject)

To: dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject)
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:55:49 -0400

Two things that might put a positive spin on this are the change in fiber optics regulations and the requirement BPL equipment be certified rather than verified.

Fiber optics is far superior to BPL and the speeding up of the installations would, or should render BPL obsolete in all but a few areas.

One negative is BPL interference must be remedied without having to shut down he BPL as I read it.
BPL is not the easiest thing to install over a wide area and that should give the fiber optic telcos an advantage.

BPL requires the installation of feeds that are relatively close spaced to cover much distance. That appears to me as if it would be as much work as a fiber optic system running in parallel with the power lines. Due to it's nature I wonder just how many signals it can handle without bandwidth degradation. True it's basically a spread spectrum technology, or a group of relatively narrow band spread spectrum signals. Their capacity is not unlimited.

Having spent the latter portion of my career in the CS field I just don't see BPL as having the ability of coming any where near providing the service claimed for it even if there are no interference issues.

I'd really like a chance to study the protocols for those forms of BPL they are planning on implementing.
Maybe some one can point to to some documentation. I've not been able to find anything definitive yet.

DE

Roger (K8RI)

daniel hearn wrote:

There is more to the BPL vote by FCC today. As I interpret it, they changed
a rule that forced companies who install fiber optic to allow their
competetors to have access to it. They ruled that this is no longer true,
encouraging companies to install fiber more rapidly. According to a news
report on CBS Marketwatch, SBC says they will speed up their time table to
install fiber to 18 million households. Could be encouraging news for us.
http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?siteid=bigcharts&dist=bigcharts&gu
id=%7BC9537B59-26F4-4529-8C1A-8344ABA6C96F%7D

73, Dan, N5AR

-- Roger Halstead (K8RI ARRL Life Member) Worlds Oldest Debonair (N833R S# CD-2) www.rogerhalstead.com