[TowerTalk] Effect of Ground Quality and Terrain vs Distance fromAntenna

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Effect of Ground Quality and Terrain vs Distance fromAntenna?
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:57:25 -0500
I have read in several reliable sources that it's really the quality of the ground and the terrain about 2-1/2-3 wavelengths from the antenna that determines the effective height of an antenna and the resulting TOA and gain. If that's the case, does that mean that a 40M antenna on a hill that rapidly drops off by about 400 feet in height over a radius of about 350 feet effectively increases the height of the antenna by 400 feet? I know some of you folks out there have done terrain analysis and wonder if that conclusion is accurate? Again, if that's accurate, does it make more sense to put the radials for a ground mounted vertical 2-1/2 to 3 wavelengths from the antenna rather than directly under it?

I'd be interested in your comments on these questions.

73, Joe