Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete Base?

To: k2qmf@juno.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete Base?
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:44:15 -0600
Ted:

When I put in the 4x4x6 base for my freestanding WT51 TriEX crankup 12 years ago I let the base cure a month and periodically sprinkled it with water to keep it from drying out too fast (since I put it up in the middle of a hot Texas summer) and developing cracks. Previously when I put up 40 ft of Rohn 25 at another QTH I let the base (3x3x3) dry a couple weeks since the 40 ft. tower would be bracketed to my house. Either way I sprinkled the concrete a couple times a day just to keep it from drying out too fast. With the Rohn I also attached the first 10 ft. section the the 3 foot base and roped it off to the fence and patio so it would remain plumb throughout the drying process. Also with the Rohn I put in a layer of river rock gravel at the bottom of the hole so the tower could drain any condensation into the ground and not collect inside the tower legs and cause corrosion.

Tom, WW5L

k2qmf@juno.com wrote:
Hello All,

I have a question regarding tower base concrete.

How long should concrete cure after pouring to
be safe to install a crank-up, tilt over tower???
The mix is 3500 psi.

Many Thanks in advance. 73, Ted K2QMF