Re: [TowerTalk] Frozen Rotor

To: W1GOR <W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Frozen Rotor
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:02:57 -0500
I've done something similar to what Larry has done; however, I use heavy duty, flexible vinyl and fold it into a simple cone. I wrap the top of the cone around the mast above the thrust bearing so it forms an umbrella to protect moisture from settling on or into the bearing. The vinyl can obtained as scrap from fabric shops or upholstery shops.

Another trick, although the mechanical purists might not approve, is to pump grease into the thrust bearing until it comes out of the housing. Make sure it is distributed all around the contact surface between mast and bearing. The grease is incompatible with water and keeps ice from getting in between the mast/bearing surfaces. Messy, but works.

73, Joe

W1GOR wrote:

Martin,

I've had similar problems with the mast freezing in the sleeve... My solution was to make a cone-shaped guard and fasten it around the mast slightly above the sleeve opening (seal it well). It can be of sheet-metal although I used fairly stiff plastic sheet and heated it to form the cone. When done properly, any moisture (rain, snow, sleet) will be diverted away from the mast-sleeve junction and the mast will not freeze in the sleeve. You might want to apply some low temperature silicone grease to the mast, where it passes through the sleeve. Don't use ordinary grease because it is not capable of withstanding very low temperatures without getting stiff. If you have enough space between the mast and sleeve, a sheet of TEFLON can be used in place of the silicone grease. According to DuPont, TEFLON is the slipperiest material on Earth...<grin> By the way, if you can find a GIANT FUNNEL, you will have most of the shield right from the start...!

73, Larry - W1GOR

There are 10
types of people
in the world;