Re: [TowerTalk] Wiring

To: mmaddox@aclass.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wiring
From: Kevin Stover <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:30:33 -0600

I designed my barn wiring on
actual current measurements, not NEC specs.  The 50A breaker is not really
needed on the lighting circuit.  It is what I had for the mains box at the
time.  The mains breaker box is no longer manufactured and a new 30A breaker
costs about $50.

Using oversized breakers is just as dangerous as using undersized or wrong wire type. You always match the size of the breaker to the max current capabilty of the wire not the projected load. If you've got more load than can be supported safely by the romex in a circuit then you wire another cicuit with the appropriate breaker in the box.

One can not wire stuff any way they want, either legally or
morally.

Au Contraire. In a retrofit I can legally wire it any way I want.
I'm then responsible both financially and criminally if the place goes up in flames. The insurance companies love that.
Woe is be to me if I decide to ignore the local code, wire it like I think it should be wired, and someone gets killed either in the resulting fire or putting it out.
This pertains to retrofits not new construction. In new construction you've got inspections and building permits.
I saw one city inspector make a developer rip the romex out and have it re-wired because the boxes weren't the right distance off the floor in a $300K house. The new owner wanted them there and the city said no.

R. Kevin Stover, ACØH