Re: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding
From: Bill Shell <n6ws@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:36:10 -0800
In 1966, I lost a tower to a lightning strike. The tower was a 50ft Rohn 25 with three sets of two guys. The tower was grounded an the base with ground rods and heavy guage wire going up about 3-4 ft where it attached to the tower legs. Unfortunately, the strike went down one of the guys, over or through the heavy-duty egg insulators to the guy anchor where it cracked the cement open. The tower, having lost the anchor point for one set of guys, just tipped over into my neighbors yard.

I didn't have any grounds on the guy anchor points. I had thought there was no need, since the guys were broken at several points with egg insulators. I was wrong. Lightning is too unpredictable to follow rules.

73, Bill
N6WS