[TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation,

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation,
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 21:48:12 -0800
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 20:55:15 -0800
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
and effects

Yes, it has nothing to do with the insulation. In an earlier post, I
noted that I every two years, I have to circumcise my 80/40 JA fan that
uses #10 stranded THHN for the 80M element. It's up about 130 ft, fed
with RG11, so a lot of tension on it. I've changed to wire on the other
80/40 fan to the bare #8 solid stretched to #9.

73, Jim K9YC

##  I have not had any stretch issues with RW-90  in 10 gauge, but that was
for slopers and inverted vees etc, with no weight on them.   The insulation on
RW-90 is very thick stuff.  I  have also used it in 8 gauge.  10 gauge
alumoweld
is  stupid strong stuff, doesnt stretch.

###  IF  degraded THHN wire actually increases  RF resistance, then the
input Z to the dipole, etc should also increase by a bunch.

Jim   VE7RF