Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Control

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Control
From: zl1aih@ihug.co.nz
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:31:42 +1200
Hi All,

From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
To: towertalk@contesting.com

I believe N6RK has posted in the past his use of latching relays to
band switch a LF vertical - perhaps close to what PA4N is thinking
of doing?

Getting power out to a relay like that is pretty easy, but here's an
alternative...

Two places where I have considered something similar to this is
switching between 40 & 30m on a linear loaded 40m dipole (by
shorting across the linear loading sections) & to switch in top loading on
an HF2V - some sort of home brewed lever switch activated by a pull cord.

Much easier to "decouple" the pull cord & in my situation at least,
the cord could come straight in to the the operating position.

Sometimes the dumbest, inelegant or seemingly ridiculous solution
might be the best.

73, VR2BrettroGraham

When experimenting with a roof-mounted 80 metre 3-wire folded unipole, I
confirmed that the antenna had a working bandwidth of only 10 kHz.   The
series tuning capacitor at the base was 5 metres from the operating position.
On an island, use whatever is available - I had a spare 5 metre length of
throttle control cable from a defunct outboard motor.   A lever on the
capacitor shaft,  with the Evinrude control box in the shack allowed efficient
operation from 3.5 to 3.8 mHz.   Heath-Robinson/Rube Goldberg, but it
worked.
Mind you, the shack was only 20 metres from high-water - a well-matched
beach umbrella would have worked.
73, Ken ZL1AIH