Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a pair of selsyns for an old Telrex rotor

To: "Dubovsky, George" <George.Dubovsky@andrew.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a pair of selsyns for an old Telrex rotor
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:00:47 -0400
Control transformers do have 3 windings on both the stator and rotor.
They are used to do offsets in a system. They are installed in the 3
stator lines between the transmitter and receiver. The 3 transmitter
stator lines would connect to the 3 stator lines of the control
transformer. The 3 stator lines to the receiver would then connect to
the 3 rotor lines of the control transformer. Reversing stator and rotor
line sets on the control transformer will accomplish the same thing.

When the control transformer shaft is turned it will offset the receiver
shaft by the same number of degrees that the control shaft has been
turned. This is while the transmitter shaft remains stationary. Once the
control transformer shaft has been locked then the receiver will follow
the transmitter position with the offset provided.
A practical use for it would be to calibrate the rotator position
indication system by just turning the control transformer shaft the
proper amount. It will then provide a permanent offset between the
transmitter and receiver.

A control transformer can't be used as a transmitter or receiver unless
you have a 3 phase signal to supply to it as a reference.

There is a difference between a transmitter and receiver. The receiver
has some damping on the shaft so that it does not oscillate by itself.
This can easily happen when there is no resistance to it's rotation as
in a compass indicator. Other than that they are much the same.

400 hz units can work on 60 hz but you have to reduce the voltage quite
a bit. They will then have much less torque. There have ben some
articles in QST? in the past about doing this.

73
Gary  K4FMX