Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole questions for the Liberal Arts Major

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole questions for the Liberal Arts Major
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:48:12 -0500
For a fan dipole there is much coupling between the two wires, so making
them different lengths doesn't really buy much in bandwidth. If you take
one of the wires of your fan dipole and put it at right angles to the
other, ending up with "X" crossed dipoles, you can make the two dipoles
act like separate antennas. You can then get a double dip SWR curve. If
you make one resonate on the low end of the band and the other at the
high end of the band, you can cover the whole 80 meter band with
reasonable SWR. This antenna is a cloud burner, not a DX antenna.  It is
more omnidirectional than a dipole, and slightly less gain compared to
the broadside direction of a dipole.

Jerry, K4SAV