Re: [TowerTalk] EWE Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EWE Antennas
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 16:00:57 -0500
There are several of these receiving antennas all in the same class,
EWE, flag, pennant, K9AY.  They all work.  W8JI has an article on his
site that compares the parameters of different types of receiving
antennas which is interesting.
http://www.w8ji.com/receiving.htm
There are variations on each of these antennas, such as multi-elements
and arrays. I have tried the single loop EWE and was not impressed.  A
two element EWE works much better.  (Two elements for N/S, and two
elements for E/W). Most construction articles you see have about 25 ft
spacing between the elements, but you can shorten this to 6 inches, and
the only thing than happens is that the gain drops by 3 dB. This will
reduce the space required by a factor of 2, and make the construction
much simpler because 4 of the elements can come together at the center
and you can use one box for all the control stuff. About 50 ft is all
the space you need for 2 elements. You can also use chain link fence
poles for support, with the wires suspended about 6 inches from the
poles.  The poles will not affect the pattern. (They actually improve
the F/B by a very small amount, and lower the gain by a dB.)  You will
definitely need a good preamp with this antenna.  If you build one of
these, the biggest problem you will have is making sure you get the
phasing correct.  It is very easy to get the phasing reversed by using
the wrong wire from the transformers.  With wrong phasing, the antenna
will work, but the F/B will be terrible.

When you have limited space, this type antenna is a good choice.  They
really do make a big difference compared to receiving on your dipole or
vertical.

Jerry, K4SAV