Re: [TowerTalk] grounding

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:03:55 -0400

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 10/9/05 2:06:50 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
> garyschafer@comcast.net writes:
> As far as Polyphaser protection devices go, you really don't need them
> if you disconnect the lines from the equipment and ground the shield and
> center conductor of the coax when not in use.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> I wish that was true.  It is not.  Three years ago, before I got the
> Polyphasers,  I had disconnected as you said.  Unfortunately the lightning
> traveled
> and jumped on to the Al-Foil aluminum insulation material near the entrance
> box.
>  It then proceeded down the AlFoil about three feet behind the sheetrock and
> entered the wall attached steel shelving that the disconnected coax/rotor
> cable inside the house was laying on.  From there it was off to the shack,
> the
> computers in two other rooms (through the router) and the TV's through the
> house.
>  $8000 damage.  All this from totally disconnected cables and nothing plugged
> into the mains.
>
> Something else to consider too.  It is possible to pick up a 'bolt out of the
> blue" while operating, or even have a discharge from a hit far away.  Having
> no Polyphaser in line means sudden death for the equipment (and possibly the
> op).  The Polyphaser is just another line of defense against mother nature
> down
> here in the lightning capitol.
>
> I pull all connections when not on the air..and have the Polyphasers in line.
>  It's worked for three years now.
>
> By the way, I love to show visitors the big blast mark on the closet wall
> from the hit.
>
> Bill K4XS

Whoooa there. When I said ground the center conductor and the shield I
meant that they should BOTH (center and shield) be connected to your
earth ground. You should never leave a disconnected antenna cable laying
loose.

This whole dissertation was about "economy protection methods". Given a
choice I would install the protection devices to take care of the times
you may forget to disconnect and ground the cables. And to also take
care of any unsuspected energy that may come down the line.

But I will guarantee you that direct grounding of the cable in place of
a polyphaser protector will provide better protection than the
polyphaser device if grounding connections are done properly.

This is beginning to sound like " I placed the end of the cable in a
pickle jar full of water and can't understand why I got hit by
lightning".  :>)

73
Gary  K4FMX