Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Centre - Proximity To Metal Mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Centre - Proximity To Metal Mast
From: Fred Roberts <froberts@ispwest.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:30:43 -0800
Jim-

For most hams, a dipole never really is put up as high as we would like, and
most
times the ends are closer to the ground.  But, aside from putting dipoles up as
high
as we can and trying to avoid proximity to adjacent metal, there isn't much one
can do.

That said, after the antenna is put up you can adjust the two ends to achieve
the
best SWR and put that SWR wherever you want it in the band.

Over the years, I have worked a great number of hams who had attic dipoles,
dipoles 5
feet off the ground, and so on.  Yet, most of them have said, "The antenna
works
great - I can work everyone I can hear."

Just enjoy what you have to the utmost,

73-
Fred, W6TKV
Riverside, CA