[TowerTalk] rope in elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rope in elements
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:26:31 EST
In a message dated 3/27/2001 11:57:24 Eastern Standard Time,
k2av@contesting.com writes:

>  > Rope helps to dampen oscillations, it is like hand being there to grab
the

>  > element and calm it down. Can't see what sealed rope inside the element
> have
>  > to do with ice loading.
>
>  Pulls water INSIDE the elements by wicking. Maybe if you worked clear
> automotive silicone *grease* into the outer yard or so of rope that would
> solve the wicking.

I used yellow nylon rope, not the fabric type. Besides condensing perhaps on
the surface, this should not wick the water, nor retain it. When you seal the
ends of elements (cork, plastic caps) and grease the tubing joints it should
be fairly tight to allow casual sipping of water.
Never found the ice rink inside the elements or any signs of water. Had the
elements bent to pretzels and break due to ice on the outside.

Yuri