Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Pattern of a yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Pattern of a yagi
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:33:26 -0500
"...can anyone tell me how to plot the vertical
pattern in EZNEC? "....

You select the plot type as "elevation" and specify the azimuth
direction you want , usually 0 degrees.  Hit the "FF plot" button.

If this is your first time using EZNEC, which I gather from your
comment, I wouldn't start with the SteppIR.  Use something simpler.

To model the stepIR, all the element distances will be the same, but you
will need different element lengths for each frequency where you want
the results. You can get this from the numbers displayed by the control
box. However you will have to compensate for the dielectric of the
fiberglass tubes. Use the optional dielectric and thickness parameters
available in EZNEC to do this.  You will also have to use an estimated
equivalent diameter of the wire, since the copper-beryllium tapes are
flat and thin (about half an inch wide I think). There is also a small
taper in diameter for this tape in the last 2 inches or so. You also
need to know enough about the expected results to be confident that the
model is correct. This is true whether you create the model yourself or
someone else gives you one.

Jerry, K4SAV