Re: [TowerTalk] USTower HDX Tilt-over Fully Retracted vs Partially Exten

To: "Gary Saboe" <gerald@saboe.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] USTower HDX Tilt-over Fully Retracted vs Partially Extended
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 07:06:28 -0700 (PDT)
Gary Saboe wrote:

> mounted.  Does anyone have any experience raising/lowering with the
> TRX-100HD raising fixture the HDX-5106MDPL? My HDX-772 is the same tower
> as
> the HDX-5106 minus the top two sections and weighs 2,600lbs (section 7-442
> lbs,sect 8-484 lbs,sect 9-669 lbs,sect 10-1,001 lbs). With the raising
> fixture attach point being about 1/3 the way up (7ft) the lower section
> (21ft), and with no engineering specifications for the TRX-100HD system,
> the
> warning from USTower "Caution! Tower must be fully retracted before using
> raising fixture" provides Rule #1 guidance.

> Gary, NØGS

I have an HDX-5016MDPL/TRX-100HD.  The tower doesn't quite
retract all the way, in order to allow for a TIC ring rotator.
I have a heavy prop pitch mounted and a 200 lb MontstIR.
I can still use the tilt over winch, although it is an athletic
event :-)  On the way down, the brake tends to overheat and
start howling.  My feeling is that retracting the tower all
the way wouldn't make much difference.  I had the same brake
problem before adding the rotor and antenna.  I am planning to
replace the winch with a W3000.

When doing rotor work, I extend the tower horizonatally to a
length of 50 ft or so.  Of course the tower is resting on
4x4s instead of being supported by the raising fixture.

Rick N6RK