Re: [TowerTalk] [WISPA FCC] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

To: FCC Discussion <fcc@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [WISPA FCC] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change
From: Jack Unger <junger@ask-wi.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:52:15 -0700
Marlon,

I've been thinking about an appropriate WISPA technical response to the
FCC on this as a long-time ham (since 1958) AND a long-time WISP
supporter/provider (since 1993). I'll get my suggestions to you by
Sunday (5/21). I think we can craft an FCC response that will be a
win-win proposition for both communities.
                                           jack

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As I'm sure you guys are aware, HAMs are primary users in about half of
> the 2.4 gig band.  When using APC you can run very high wattage.  I
> can't remember if it's 100 or 1000.  This is for video as I recall.
>
> There's a proposal to drop the APC requirement.  As a board member of
> the Wireless Internet Provider's Association (www.wispa.org) I've been
> asked to ask for your input on the issue.
>
> WISPs, and other license exempt users, are limited (for all practical
> purposes) to 4 watts for our broadcast sites.  And much of the gear is
> contention based, so anything that's always on tends to cause great
> headaches and gnashing of teeth.
>
> We will likely fight this new proposal but wanted input from the HAM
> community first.
>
> Are there people using this ability today?
>
> What's it used for?
>
> Any plans for more high power 2.4 gig use?
>
> Are there any reasons that we shouldn't come out against the proposal to
> drop the APC requirement?
>
> Am I missing anything?  Asking the wrong questions etc?
>
> Thanks all!
> Marlon
> (509) 982-2181                                   Equipment sales
> (408) 907-6910 (Vonage)                    Consulting services
> 42846865 (icq)                                    And I run my own wisp!
> 64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
> www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
> www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam

Jack Unger (junger@ask-wi.com) - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
Serving the License-Free Wireless Industry Since 1993
Our next WISP Workshop is June 21-22 in Atlanta, GA.