Re: [TowerTalk] Water tower omni

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water tower omni
From: bthorson@4smps.com
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:33:25 -0400
Can you tell me more about the 'Rolling Ball' concept and lightning?
I've never heard of it.

Someone, I think it was in the forum, said that lightning protection is
like an insurance policy. The more you spend, the better your
protection, but you couldn't guarantee that you weren't going to get
taken out. Of course, there's the people who say that's silly, that
professional broadcasters have to stay on all the time, through
lightning hits etc. Of course their equipment is a bit heavier and a lot
more expensive the typical equipment I install.

The side tank mounting has been, at least so far, a relatively safe
method. I think we've had one side tank mounted antenna taken out at
most. (Actually the antenna wasn't taken out, but the coax as it was an
old installation that wasn't properly grounded, if I remember correctly.)

Ben