Re: [TowerTalk] Water tower omni

To: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water tower omni
From: bthorson@4smps.com
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 23:29:24 -0400
Gary Schafer wrote:

> [...]
Thanks for all the great replies. As far as the immediate need, that
problem is likely solved by a somewhat low tech solution for the time
being, though the problem will arise again in the future, and I'd sure
like to hear more on the subject. The contractor who actually does the
installation work proposed a solution that is somewhat wasteful in the
frequency domain, but is one that I didn't consider in my fascination
with the problem itself. That is, use two different frequencies, one
each for communication with stations on either side of the tower. That
way, we don't have to worry about interaction between the two radiation
patterns and we can mount on the catwalk.

The end cost is probably a bit lower with this solution since we don't
have to spend time tuning and modelling etc. But it would have been more
fun the other way :-(

Ben