Re: [TowerTalk] Ooops! Wrong guy bracketassembly installed--nowwhat?!

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ooops! Wrong guy bracketassembly installed--nowwhat?!
From: Steve Maki <steve@oakcom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:02:35 -0400
Dick Green wrote:

>>That is just the way it is shown in my catalog although as I
>>recall the shackle was left to pivot freely.

> I don't see a drawing like that in my Rohn catalog (a recent but pre-Radian
> version that's pretty-much identical to the online catalog.) On drawing
> C870710R3 it shows the guy bracket and link, but not a shackle. The parts
> list for the various 25/45/55 towers don't include

Rest assured though that shackles ARE a fairly common component of
engineered guy wire systems. On permanent installs the bolt and nut pin
type is preferred, but the screw-pin type is fine as well. The straight
pin with cotter pin type should be avoided, since they can't handle side
loads properly. Ultimate strength is usually six times rated working load.

Steve K8LX