Re: [TowerTalk] cable thefts

To: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cable thefts
From: "WA3GIN @ Arlington County, VA" <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:39:33 -0400
Here are a few recent thefts:

September 07, Star Beacon (OH) -- Thousands of pounds of copper stolen
from Plant C.

Ashtabula County Port Authority (ACPA) in Ohio is beefing up it's
security at power facility

Plant C after 2,000 pounds of copper bus bars were found missing last
week. The theft of the

copper, used to ground electric wiring in the lower levels of the water
pumping sections of the

plant, was discovered by FirstEnergy employees on Thursday, August 31,
said ACPA board

president John Palo. "FirstEnergy supervisors detected they had a poor
ground on electric lines

1

inside the plant... a large amount of copper bars were gone," Palo said.
The missing copper

material is valued at between $5,000 and $6,000 at today's recycling
price. FirstEnergy and

Palo alerted the county sheriff's office immediately when the theft was
discovered. This latest

theft may or may not be connected to the August 26 arrest of two
Geneva-on-the-Lake men

linked to a separate theft incident at another nearby FirstEnergy plant.

Source: http://www.starbeacon.com/local/local_story_249075143

September 06, Fayetteville Observer (NC) -- Two more arrested in North
Carolina for

power line theft. The Moore County, NC Sheriff's Office has arrested two
more people in

connection with thefts of power lines. Jesse Dee Mabe and Steven Wayne
Cole each are

accused of stripping about 1,250 feet of neutral power lines from power
poles. The two are also

accused of breaking into two power substations and destroying three
transformers. The thefts

caused thousands of dollars in damage to underground power lines,
according to the Moore

County Sheriff's Office. Detectives began investigating the thefts in
May after the Randolph

Electric Corporation reported that power lines had been stolen. The
Moore County Sheriff's

Office believes the thefts are linked to increasing copper prices.

Source: http://www.fayettevillenc.com/article?id=241357

September 04, Ironton Tribune (IL) -- Two arrested in theft of copper at
Buckeye Rural

Electric. Two people in Gallia County, IL, on Monday, September 4, were
arrested in

2

connection with the attempted theft of an estimated $1,300 in copper
from Buckeye Rural

Electric Cooperative's (BREC) Rodney substation. The thieves had it
loaded in the back of a

pickup truck and were at the truck totaling their haul in a notebook
when they were arrested,

according to Steve Oden, spokesperson for BREC. The accounts of recent
thefts in the

three-county region are numerous. Oden said "[Copper thefts have] been a
real problem in

Gallia, Lawrence, and Meigs counties, probably since June...Copper
thefts are epidemic right

now." Recently thieves tried to steal copper from the grounding grid
underneath a power

substation owned by the Guernsey-Muskingum Electric Cooperative. The
culprits damaged the

substation in the process. "The substation began to malfunction and the
voltage was so great the

concrete was smoking," said Oden.

Source: http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/2006/09/05/news/news/
news121.txt