Re: [TowerTalk] Raise Tower Using Crane

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Raise Tower Using Crane
From: lew <lew@dsl-only.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:16:09 -0700
I  plucked 70' of Rohn 55 with a rotating bearing 20' down from the top
and put it on 40' of Rohn 55 that I already had up.
The Rohn 55 did fine with some flexing. The skill is in the crane
operator's realm to set the pre-greased ends of the Rohn together.
The bolting of the two sections was anticlimatic but still a
perspiration-getter.
    I did 2 sections of Rohn 25, each 60' long on a separate tower and
it flexed way more than I liked. Nothing permanent but the pucker factor
came close to double digits.
    200' of Rohn 55 in a single snatch is asking for trouble. Doing two
lifts of 100' each means more crane time, but a whole lot safer and in
the end, that's what is important.
     73 and I remain,
     Lew     W7EW/W7AT