RE: [TowerTalk] elevated anchor guy points

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] elevated anchor guy points
From: k1ttt@arrl.net
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:24:49 -0400 (EDT)
"maybe" it has enough dead weight that if on top of the ground it would
resist being pulled sideways.  but would it have enough overturning force
for a lever arm of however many feet stick up from the concrete to hold 5
guy wires each tensioned to about 600# (assuming 1/4" ehs and typical
instalation for rohn towers).  this would be 3000# (something less
actually but depends on adding up all the vectors) of static load, then
add additional force for max wind load on the upwind side, antenna area
and placement, ice area, etc...  apply that summed up force to the end of
the lever arm created by the pipe and see if it wouldn't turn over that
block if sitting on the ground.  i would take any comment like that with a
grain of salt until shown the calculations done by someone who deals with
that type of guyed structure regularly... the forces are way higher than
they look even on a calm day.