[TowerTalk] Lightning Suppression applications for wire antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Suppression applications for wire antennas
From: Alain Michel <opalockamishabob@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:01:49 -0800 (PST)
Hello All,

I'm a rookie here and I am always intrigued by the many subjects and helpful
replies I've read. None more so than lightning protection.

I have a 204' dipole up about 40'. When I had the rig in the garage, it was no
challenge to just disconnect the coax from the rig at the slightest threat of a
storm. Recently, I brought the rig into the house and no longer have that
luxury, having added 50' of coax through the rafters, via a barrel connector. I
plan on utilizing a PolyPhaser unit for protection.

The original RG8X coax from the G5RV terminates right outside the patio, 15'
from the house. There is a strip of moist soil, 5' wide and 100' long which
runs the patio's length. It is here where I plan to plant my ground rod[s].

I've got a heavy duty, weather-proof plastic landscape control housing that I
planned to loop the coax through and secure the Polyphaser unit. This would
keep everything moisture free.

I am seeking your advise on how to connect all these parts to successfully make
my efforts as effective as possible.

All suggestions will be most gratefully received!

Alan...KI6HPO