Re: [TowerTalk] was 80M Delta Loop - now Soil Conductivity

To: Brian Beezley <k6sti@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] was 80M Delta Loop - now Soil Conductivity
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 10:44:17 -0500

A huge issue with using a coarse tool like a Soil Conductivity map is that the worst and best terrain for Soil Conductivity are but a tiny % areawise and may not even be noticeable on a large scale map. And like with extremes in either direction, the likelihood of those conditions persisting over a large area at that same level is extremely small.

At my qth which is ledge and virtually no soil except for minimal dirt devoid of nutrients, you can go less than a mile away in almost any direction and you will see an absence of ledge and far darker, nutrient rich soil. Travel another mile and you have farmland and loam and many small freshwater ponds and lakes. 20 miles SE of me you have Long Island Sound which is of course all salt water.

I have never attempted to measure soil conductivity at any of these locations but I would have to believe that it is far superior to what I have on my hilltop, at least in the near field. And much of W1 is like this.

I leave the extremely varied conditions to those with the expertise to debate it. :-)

73

Bob, KQ2M

On 2024-07-26 09:42, Brian Beezley wrote:
There's a problem with using the FCC conductivity map to rank HF conductivities that I overlooked: skin depth is much smaller at HF. Soil with different conductivity may come into play at broadcast frequencies. This can invalidate a conductivity ranking applied to HF.

The following table extrapolates 1 MHz permittivity and conductivity for ARRL average ground to HF using the Messier soil model. Conductivity is in mS/m and SD is skin depth in feet.

 MHz  Perm Cond   SD
 1.0  13.0  5.0  25.1
 1.8   9.9  5.2  18.8
 3.7   7.2  5.6  13.1
 7.1   5.5  6.1   9.4
14.2   4.1  6.9   6.6
21.2   3.6  7.4   5.5
28.5   3.2  7.9   4.7

For most bands there's quite an opportunity for soil variation to change HF conductivity by making deeper soil invisible to RF.

I think it's best to ignore the FCC map for HF questions.

Examples of ground constant variation with depth:

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/gcvar.htm

Ground constant extrapolator:

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/extrap.zip

Skin depth calculator: