Re: [TowerTalk] Grey PVC Loading Coil

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grey PVC Loading Coil
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:50:24 -0600
It's not immediately obvious as to what is going on with these coils.

The additional loss is from the dissipation factor of the dielectric
which is a function of the electric field strength.  Also the dielectric
increases the capacitance across the coil which lowers its self
resonance frequency. The low frequency value of inductance is a constant
and independent of the dielectric. The shunt capacitance forms a
parallel circuit with inductance and its effective impedance goes up, so
the effective inductance goes up. You get just the opposite effect for a
series capacitor. In the previous post, I just manually adjusted the
number of turns to keep the desired value of inductance.

Here is what happens when holding the turns at 30 for both, and at 1.85
MHz. With an air dielectric, L=83.6 uh, C=5.96 pf, Rs= 1.2, self
resonant at 7.4 MHz. Low frequency inductance of this coil is 78.4 uH.
With PVC, L=89.3 uH, C=11.6 pf, Rs= 2.5, self resonant at 5.3 MHz. Low
frequency inductance of this coil is the same as for the air coil, 78.4 uH.

I'm not sure what the program assumes for the location of the
dielectric, but since this program is intended to be used for
calculating the inductance of a coil would on a form, I would hope that
the calculation is not for being immersed in the dielectric. Also I do
not know what the program assumes for the dielectric properties of PVC.
I guess you could derive them based on some of the calculation results.

Jerry, K4SAV