Re: [TowerTalk] You think you have line noise !

To: 'Gedas' <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] You think you have line noise !
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 06:48:00 -0500
> But, in the meantime, has anyone here had any experience with devices like
> the MFJ-1025?  Are these things worth anything and do they work as
> advertised?

I recently purchased an MFJ-1026 in an effort to fight power line
noise. It takes a little while to get used to adjusting the
controls, but the unit does an amazing job of nulling a single
noise. If you have noise from multiple sources, it won't be able to
null more than one at a time.

I might add, however, the MFJ likes a low impedance load because of
its emitter follower output stage. It has trouble delivering power
into higher impedances. When used with my HF rig, the unit shows ~30
dB loss and is totally useless. When tried with borrowed rigs all is
well. I am led to believe, therefore, that my rig has a receiver
input impedance the MFJ doesn't like. Whether by design or this
particular rig is broken has yet to be determined. It would be
interesting to know if anyone else has found an MFJ-1025 or 1026 to
dislike a particular rig in this manner.

73,
Paul N1BUG