Re: [TowerTalk] K9AY Loop

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] K9AY Loop
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:12:02 -0600
Here is my answer to your question about a comparison between a K9AY
four square and that of a full size four square on 160 meters.

Assume a full size 160 meter 4 square 1/4 wave spacing and a K9AY 4
square using 40 meter spacing, and both use quadrature phasing, and make
the assumption that each is operating close to optimum, the full size
four square will be a little better overall.

In the azimuth direction front-to-back is close for both, with the full
size 4SQ slightly better (that's average rear response, not minimum
response value).  The forward lobe beamwidth is also very close, for the
K9AY about 96 degrees at 24 degrees elevation, and for the full size 4SQ
about 98.6 degrees at 20 degrees elevation.

In the elevation direction, the K9AY 4SQ has a beamwidth of 52 degrees
with a take-off angle of 26 degrees. Straight up the response is down 11
dB. The full size 4SQ has a beamwidth of 38.6 degrees with a take-off
angle of 20 degrees, and a null overhead.

Overall the full size 4 square will have a better signal-to-noise ratio
because of less high angle response due to the narrower forward lobe in
the elevation direction. Less high angle response in these antennas is
very important because thunderstorm QRN originating in the US will be
arriving at high angles and these sources will have large signal amplitudes.

The performance of both of these antennas will improve significantly if
optimized phasing is used.

Jerry, K4SAV