Re: [TowerTalk] Contact cleaners and lubes

To: "A.C.V. Elston" <velston@centurytel.net>,TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>,La Crosse Hams <lacrossehams@qth.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Contact cleaners and lubes
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:44:06 -0600
Thank you, Van, for sharing your experience and the info.  I agree, too,
with removing contaminants mechanically and with use of evaporating
solvents such as water, alcohol, and acetone for cleaning, with due
precaution for material compatibility and for the hazards associated
with some.

My first job in industry was in the experimental vacuum tube lab of
Farnsworth Radio and Television (or was it Capehart-Farnsworth, the
company reorganized a couple times and was eventually purchased by
I.T.&T while I worked there in the early 1950s).  To thoroughly clean
metal parts for sophisticated tubes, we scrubbed them (mechanical and
chemical) in a detergent solution, rinsed them in successive washes of
distilled water, acetone, and alcohol, and then deoxidized them in
hydrogen at high temperature.

Another experience involved the use of contact lubricant on slip rings
of gyros for use in torpedoes.  The lube significantly reduced noise for
a time, but the lube used made matters worse after several weeks, as it
oxidized.  It may have been OK if regular service had been possible, but
the gyros were not field serviceable.  We had to insist upon greater
cleanliness and prohibition of any material that might deteriorate with
age and environment.

I especially appreciate the information offered by Caig about their many
products and the information offered by CRC (I have the handbook of math
tables that I purchased in 1952!) about cleaners suggested by Ron
Martinmaki.

I also appreciate info offered by others who responded.  Comments
regarding Caig were positive.  Channel Master was also suggested, along
with CRC cleaning products.

Thanks to all who responded, 73 es HNY de Red