Re: [TowerTalk] Current imbalance on 450 ohm Ladder Line

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Current imbalance on 450 ohm Ladder Line
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:51:48 -0500
Sounds like it's time to check the calibration of your MFJ-835.
Assuming an imbalance, reversing the polarity of the output terminals
should simply show the same reading but on opposite channels.  Reversing
the polarity of the input lines should make no difference.  This is not
what you got, so the meter is not reading correctly.  The tuner may
cause common mode currents to increase or decrease, but if the MFJ-835
is reading correctly, this shouldn't matter.  It should be measuring
current balance between the two output lines, and this should be only a
function of the load.

Make sure that the balanced line from the tuner to the MFJ-835 is not
lying such that it can couple to the balanced line to the antenna.

Try isolating the MFJ-835 case from other pieces of equipment and see
what it does.  Maybe it has developed some additional stray capacitance
to the case.  Also on 20 meters and below where you said the lines were
balanced, try reversing the input lines to the MFJ-835 and see what you get.

Don't worry about RF on your signal, that is common.  Just kidding, I
know what you meant.  That is one indication of high common mode currents.

Jerry, K4SAV