Re: [TowerTalk] Radials

To: "Steve and Judy" <hodgson@cytanet.com.cy>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials
From: wa3afs@inav.net
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 07:00:26 -0400
I have used old coax for radials.  at the connection point to the vertical, I
short the inner conductor to the
shield.  Works great.

I have experiemented with using different types of wire for radials and found
that the larger the diameter of
the radial wire, the better the antenna performed, especially when the number
of radials was less than 10
or so.  (When I put up my first 75M coaxial inverted L at this QTH I had 4
radials, all of which were either
RG8x or RG6.  My first QSO was with a VK6 about an hour before sunset (I am in
eastern New York
state!)

My worst radials were number 28 or 30 wire.  Took about 40 radials before the
antenna started to 'play'.
That was many years ago and I will never again use any wire smaller than #18
for radials.

Good luck.  The RG213 will work great.

   -- Bruce