Re: [TowerTalk] Radials

To: "mryan001" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials
From: wa3afs@inav.net
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:35:14 -0400
I have seen many 'posts' about the size of the radials.

But, I stand behind my results at 3 different QTHs (two in NY, one in Iowa).  I
count results as being able
to consistently work DX!

The only successful verticals that I ever tried was the coaxial inverted Ls.
(My only other attempt at a
vertical was with a Gotham gutless wonder back in the later 1970s and that was
a miserable failure.)

I now have 93 countries confirmed on 160M (about 45 have been since last
September).  Already have
DXCC on 80 amd 40 from using these antennnas in the past.

These antennas work consistently and each has started to work with only 3 or
radials (if the radials are of
a larger diameter).  They even 'hear' decently.  At my previous QTHs I only
went to a max of about 15-20
radials on each.  I went with 60 at this QTH since I was using the COMTEK
phasing system and there
recommendation was to go with 60 or more.  (My previous QTHs, I used delay
lines for the phasing).

My experience with number 30 wire for radials was a disaster.  I did my usual
bit of installing 3 or 4 and
then checked both the SWR and reception (this was on 40M).  10 to 1 SWR and a
very quiet receiver.  As
I added more radials I could see the SWR very slowly dropping and after about
30 the SWR was less than
2 to 1 and the receiver 'woke' up.  I quit at 40 with the results being
satisfactory and I was getting tired
since the antenna was in the middle of a raspberry patch and the thorns were
getting to me!

I never went back to the number 30 after that.  In fact, I found a decent sized
piece of copper window
screening and made a 20M inverted L with the antenna in the center of the
screen (about 30 inches by
maybe 40 feet).  Antenna worked very well!

73
   -- Bruce