Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR problem-update from the front lines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR problem-update from the front lines
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:32:52 -0500
I don't think I would take the antenna down unless you are at the point
of shipping the whole thing back to FM for a refund.  I can't think of
any possible problem with the antenna that could cause this, that hasn't
already been eliminated.

A motor winding with a short or any relatively low impedance to ground
was eliminated with the ohmmeter measurements.  A motor short, or
partial short, should not be a problem because the motors are current
driven.  Excessive friction, tape jams or anything like that should not
cause the motor to draw more current for the same reason.

One concern I had was that maybe the DC ground was connected at the
tower and a ground loop was causing a problem.  After looking at the
cable info in the manual, I see there is no ground wire in the cable, so
that is not possible.  There is a shield wire and that should be
connected to tower ground.

My best guess as to the cause of this is that you are right up to the
limit of what the system can do. The long cable length combined with the
excessive current pulse presented to the power supply by the controller
is causing the supply to drop too low.  Remember the power supply
voltage transient is present whether the cable is connected to the
antenna or not, so a large part of this transient problem is not due to
load, but due to some "feature" in the controller.

I opened my power supply to see if I could determine how much
capacitance was on the output of this supply.  I wanted to know if the
supply was capable of handling a 6 amp transient without dropping the
voltage.  It is a switch-mode supply with a 150 uf 400 V cap on the
primary side of the regulator, and there are 3 - 230 uf 63 V caps on the
output side.  I am guessing these are all in parallel since I can't see
the bottom of the circuit board without a lot of disassembly.  So with
690 uf of capacitance, and a 6 amp current pulse, the voltage will drop
8.7 volts in 1 ms.  So the cap is not capable of supplying the load
current for the transient and the regulator must do it.  Since the
supply is only rated for 2 amps, it may be that the regulator is going
into current limit.  I can't be sure of that without the schematic, but
I think that is a good guess.

A band-aid fix might be to add large cap on the power supply line.  It
would probably take about 5000 uf at 40 volts.  Another possibility is a
different supply capable of more current.  The real fix would require a
controller mod.  Remember this is only my best guess based on limited
information.

I shouldn't take FM more than a couple of hours to verify this
information.  (Of course, then there will be a big pause to determine
what to do about it.)

Jerry, K4SAV