Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped Tribanders Turned Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped Tribanders Turned Vertical
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:57:49 -0500
You are correct, Ward. That info is only part of the whole story.
Clearly as can be seen in my previous chart, the vertical has a lower
take-off angle, but it is not clear how the gains compare at some very
low angle. So here is a new table comparing both antennas (3 element 20
meter Yagi) and looking at the gains at only 5 degrees elevation. All of
this data is over average ground.

Height _ Horz Antenna _ Vert Antenna ___ Difference
20 ______ -2.6 dBi ________ 0.3 dBi _____ -2.3 dB (vertical wins)
30 _______ 0.7 dBi ________ 2.0 dBi _____ -1.3 dB (vertical wins)
40 ______  3.1 dBi ________ 2.8 dBi _____ 0.3 dB  (horizontal wins)
50 ______  4.9 dBi ________ 3.7 dBi _____ 1.2 dB  (horizontal wins)
80 ______  8.6 dBi ________ 6.2 dBi _____ 2.4 dB  (horizontal wins)
100 _____  10.2 dBi _______ 7.6 dBi _____ 2.6 dB  (horizontal wins)
120 _____  11.3 dBi _______ 8.7 dBi _____ 2.6 dB  (horizontal wins)
150 _____  12.5 dBi _______ 9.9 dBi _____ 2.6 dB  (horizontal wins)
200 _____  13.2 dBi _______ 10.8 dBi ____ 2.4 dB  (horizontal wins)
300 _____  10.2 dBi* _____  8.8 dBi* ____ 1.4 dB  (horizontal wins)

* 5 degree elevation angle is past the first lobe peak.

As to which height is best for DXing, I think you will get a bunch of
different answers, because it depends on probability of angle of DX
signal arrival which is different for everyone (but may have a general
bound). The best height for general purpose use (both USA and DX) is a
little easier question.  My best guess for that one would be 80 feet
over flat ground for 20 meters.

Jerry, K4SAV