Re: [TowerTalk] Name this antenna

To: steve d <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Name this antenna
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:45:57 -0500
Steve:

There's not a FEMA installation or one of the major airlines have a
facility of some type nearby is there?

That same tower looks like the one American Airlines has/had at their
headquarters south of DFW International Airport at the Operations
Building.  A ham friend of mine once worked there and told me about it.
  It seems AA's facility was for communicating on HF with their planes
out over the Atlantic or Pacific.  He said all they had was a 100 watt
radio built into a console and the tower was like 150 ft. tall.  I was
invited up there several times, but never had a chance to go.

Also, one of the aerospace companies in Garland TX (north east side of
Dallas)has a similar installation as I used to drive by it several years
ago when the company I worked for did all the athletic uniforms, letter
jackets, etc. for the Garland school system. I had to go out and measure
athletes, band students, choirs, etc.

It may have been E-Systems, Garland division as they had a ham club
there at one time and maybe still do.  I believe also E-Systems was the
company that did a lot of the installation of radio/comms equipment on
the new Air Force One (the new 747 that began service when Clinton was
president).

73 de Tom, WW5L