Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Advice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Advice
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:12:20 -0500
Bill, the term "single point ground" is a terrible misnomer.  It does
not mean a single point ground, or only one ground point.  When you
think about it, there is no such thing.  Only the first person to tie
something to ground would be able to have it and everyone else would be
out of luck.

I refuse to use the term because of the confusion it causes.  Most
people think the term is self explanatory, but it is not.  I substitute
the phrase "common ground tie point" instead.  It is the single point
where all your ground systems tie together.  There are usually many
ground connections within this system.  How you hook all these together
is important to control where the current goes, and that is what the
common ground tie point is for.

Jerry, K4SAV