Re: [TowerTalk] Ufer ground using copper wire

To: W7CE <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ufer ground using copper wire
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:46:10 -0700
W7CE wrote:
> I'm planning on an Ufer ground in my new tower base.  I've seen several
> sites recommending 20' or more of #2 or larger copper wire wrapped around
> the outside of the rebar cage.  Are there any chemical reactions that make
> using copper a bad idea?  I seem to recall reading something about that a
> while back, but now I can't find any mention of it.

That works fine..

> If copper is ok, I'm thinking about putting a pounding a copper ground rod
> into the bottom of the foundation hole.

ooohhh bad idea.. don't want metal penetrating the concrete below the
soil surface, if you can avoid it.  (water infiltration along the tiny
gap between metal and concrete)

Besides, the many square feet of concrete will have a lower resistance
to the earth than any single ground rod will.

Just embed the wire in the concrete and bring it out the top of the pad.