Re: [TowerTalk] SPG & Service Entrance Grounds.

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SPG & Service Entrance Grounds.
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:17:53 -0700
> First we need to think of "ground" as a "system" of wire and ground rods.
> Unless it's the only ground rod, each ground rod doens't represent a "ground
> point" as it is no more than an *extension* of a grounding network or
> system. By themselves, the service entrance, phone line(s), antennas, and
> cable each represent a ground point where they enter the home which in this
> case would be 4 ground points.  If allowed to remain seperate the equipment
> tied to them can rise to different potentials (sometimes drastically
> different) from a nearby or direct lightning strike.

   Generally, codes
> require all of these be tied together to form one single system. Even metal
> water and gas lines are required to be tied into this system.

But not for lightning impulses... they're required to be tied together
so there's negligble potential difference at line frequency.  100 feet
of wire to connect them is perfectly OK, from that standpoint.

What you want for impulse protection is slightly different.  you want
the chassis of all the equipment that is physically close together to be
referenced to a common point, and also, that an operator is also
referenced to that point.  It's convenient that that common point also
happen to be connected to the power system ground, but not necessary.

For instance, you could have you and all your gear in a faraday cage,