Re: [TowerTalk] Force12

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force12
From: "Leigh L. Klotz, Jr." <Leigh@WA5ZNU.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:17:57 -0700
It might be that the time has come and gone for $2000 antennas made out
of piles of aluminum tubing.
With the increasing availability of accurate modelling software, the
barriers to entry into this market are rapidly declining, and with new
ideas in antenna construction, the competitive pressure on old design
and construction methods is increasing.

I don't think it takes gall in any sense to ask for an end-user or an
engineering manual for any ham product.  Most of these manufacturers
wouldn't exist without the ham market, and they should simply live with
the fact that the ham market demands documentation.  Some manufacturers
(B&W, SGC) have a significant military market as well, but it's not all
secret sauce there either...one doesn't just drill a bunch of holes and
sell it to the military, even if you know where they go.

Disclaimer: I have a F12 LPT-1242 which I dearly love, but I wish it
actually went up to 42ft and didn't get hung up on its own winch cover,
a problem which F12 alternately acknowledged they had no solution for
and denied existed.

73,
Leigh/WA5ZNU