[TowerTalk] Extending a concrete base?

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Extending a concrete base?
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:27:53 -0400
Here's another (maybe stupid) question...

I have a 25G tower with the bottom section partially embedded in
concrete. Problem is the concrete was poured with the top only about
an inch above ground. The base never moves but the surrounding earth
frost heaves up slightly in winter. Spring snow melt and rain then
deposits dirt and debris on top of the concrete where it then
surrounds the tower legs. The tower is on sloped ground which
promotes this action. I am tired of cleaning the dirt and debris off
it every year and wonder what I can do to eliminate this situation.

If I clean (wire brush?) the top of the existing concrete, build a
wood form around it and simply pour another few inches of concrete
on top, will I be helping or making matters worse? I am wondering if
the new concrete will adhere to the old stuff adequately, or if
water may tend to get in between old and new layers (where it would
no doubt freeze and cause bigger problems).

I have worked with concrete quit a bit, but have never poured new on
top of old. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks & 73,

Paul N1BUG