Re: [TowerTalk] protection from UV (and chewing by critters)

To: N7DF <n7df@yahoo.com>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] protection from UV (and chewing by critters)
From: Ethan <ethan@ravenscall.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:26:09 -0400
N7DF wrote:
> I have adopted a policy of encasing my coaxes, rotor cables and switchlines
> in   Polyethylene pipe.  A one inch pipe will carry all three very
> comfortably and the cables can be pulled through a 100 foot run with ease.
> For longer runs you feed a coupler over the cable and the attach another
> length of pipe. Locally, it costs about $15 per 100 feet at the feed store.
> I  support vertical runs with a rope fed through the pipe tied off at the top
> and bottom.  I secure the pipe to the tower leg every few feet with tape to
> keep it from flopping in the wind.

Careful, when you use pipe that way you don't have any vertical support
for your cables in the pipe.  The full length of the cable hangs from
whatever support you have at the top, and depending on the height of
your tower, there can be an awful lot of weight hanging from that top
anchorage.  You likely will end up with your cables stretching out over
time.

--
Ethan KC8HES